Author Topic: PC Problems associated with BF4  (Read 4596 times)

Cornholeo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
PC Problems associated with BF4
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:26 am »
Lets see if we can figure PC problems out members are having with this game.

Racer is having PC completely reboot after every round
1. Were you having the problem before Win 8 upgrade?
2. Have you updated all mobo drivers since Win 8 upgrade?
3. What AMD video driver version?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

RACERX79

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PC Problems associated with BF4
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
1. No
2. Yes
3. I will have to look when I get home

Cornholeo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:08 am »
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955064766503013009/12/

In this forum thread, page 12, 3rd post down the new ATI Beta driver is said to have fixed reboot after round. Lets check that first. We'll beat this shit, I promise you that!

Cornholeo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:43 am »
Reply in thread from EA forums admin I found

Greetings everybody,

Thank you all for giving us such great information regarding your PC specs. For those of you that haven't tried to roll back your drivers from the Beta drivers, we have received reports that rolling back your drivers from the Beta drivers should address this issue.

If that hasn't done the trick, I'd recommend uninstalling the beta drivers from your system completely, then downloading and installing the latest stable driver release (not beta release) to see if this does the trick.

If you have tried both of these solutions and neither has resolved the issue, it would be great if you could post your specs once again. The information provided has been great, but just to narrow it down, we may need you to repeat this information along with a bit more so we can narrow this down.

The information we'll need:
Graphics card
Operating System Version
Current Driver Version

Additionally, we would like you to post the following:

1. Open your Start menu and type "view reliability history" into the search box.
2. Select the most recent bf4.exe failure, denoted by the red circle with the white X in it.
3. Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
4. Choose copy to clipboard on the bottom and post the full information of the reliability history in here.

Thanks, everybody, and I apologize for the frustration this has no doubt caused. Rest assured we are investigating this issue as swiftly as we can.

-Stiv

Innate

• Battlefield Supreme Member
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:59 am »
Since switching to the latest ATI beta drivers i haven't had a lock up yet.  Just server crashes :D

Origin: BFS_IInnate

GEBrown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:02 am »

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

I too have had my computer completely reboot after a few rounds.  The BETA ran fine on my Win 8 Pro 64 bit.  NO boot issues.  Then I upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit and it began experiencing issues crashing every now and then.  I found it to be partially a RAM issue I had and had to remove 4 of my 8 GB of RAM and now I just have the BF4 game crashing.  I get a message saying that "BF4 game has stopped running and will be shut down."  This happens about every 3-4 rounds.  If I put the RAM back in it continues to BSOD crash so I can only run 4Gb RAM right now.  (Specs below in my sig)  I have upgraded to the most recen nVidia drivers.  My current solution is to upgrade my mobo, CPU and RAM as soon as I can afford it.  I didn't know there were PC issues going on with others.  BF4 is very much a new benchmark to cause us all to have to upgrade but was hoping to go a little longer before I had to do that.

BabyKiller

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »
After the new patch, my game is now crashing not the server. It goes to black screen and then dies.

suggestions?

Innate

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »
Did you try manually updating punkbuster?  Latest (or beta) video drivers?

Origin: BFS_IInnate

VirusX45

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »
After the new patch, my game is now crashing not the server. It goes to black screen and then dies.

suggestions?

Mine does this as well.

I have the latest GPU drivers and PB version.

RogueDaWarrior

• Veteran
  • Just Byte Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:18 am »

FYI...I updated to this newer video driver and it dropped my frame rate over 40%.  I had to go back the the previous beta driver, and all is good again! 
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten!"  Anonymous

RACERX79

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »
That stopped the reboot but now mt problem is I will get a little lag. Then it gradually gets worse until the screen just lags to a stop.

TheSkrapper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »
Not sure how much troubleshooting you have done or if I've read all your posts about this so sorry if I repeat something.

Use Resource Monitor to see what is taking up which resources.  There are a few different resource/performance monitors.  I would go to Task Manager.  Open the performance tab.  Click the Resource Monitor button.  I think this is in 8 also. (You can close Task Manager now if you want.)

Make sure to maximize it at first to see everything and look around a bit.   There should be tabs for CPU, network and memory so you can find your hogs. Lots of detail.  You can "check" certain processes to narrow the results across tabs but I usually just sort by the specific data column.

Now run BF.  When you experience issues tab over and check out what's happening under the hood.  Perhaps this can help pinpoint the issue if it is process related.

Cornholeo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »
I run task manager and OpenHardware monitor on my 2nd screen Ryan. It will let you see as things throttle up what is causing it.

RACERX79

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:50 pm »
I was just thinking about how the problem started with lag and then ended in a standstill. I did some research and the ATI 6XXX HD cards have a memory leak with BF4. Lots of people are having this problem. Just to confirm it I ran Task Manager and kept it open until the problem started. Sure as shit I started getting lag and 98% of my 16 gigs of memory was being used. Reeper was nice enough to let me borrow one of his 580s since the fucked up SLI too and the problem was no longer there. So it looks like I need a new video card and probably wont get one until the first of the year.

SolarofDeath

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »
Well at least you got the problem identified and know what needs to be done.